Elavon Offers Consumers a Different Way to Make Charitable Donations
Elavon offers consumers a different way to make charitable donations
Contactless donation solution available nationwide on 4th February as part of World Cancer Day fundraising campaign
LONDON – 4 February 2016 – Elavon, a wholly owned subsidiary of US Bancorp (NYSE: USB) and a leading global payments provider, has worked closely with Cancer Research UK, omni-channel payment gateway Creditcall, and PSP and terminal provider Payter, to build the foundations for a contactless donations solution which will allow consumers to use their cards when donating to the charity on 4 February. Cancer Research UK is the first charity to trial contactless donation technology on this scale.
As of November 2015, there were a total of 78.3m contactless cards in issue in the UK which was a 40.1% increase over the course of the year and contactless is increasingly seen as the best way to make everyday payments. The third sector has an opportunity to take advantage of this growth through the contactless donation solution, which gives consumers a new way to give to charity. In 2014, 55% of all donations direct to charities in the UK were made with cash, so it’s important that as card payments represent an increasing share of consumer spend, charities look for new solutions to help them replace valuable cash income.
- The solution itself provides an innovative fixed and mobile contactless only solution in place of traditional collection tins:
- A safe and secure card-reader replaces the usual slot found at the top of a charity tin
- The same collection tin format, combined with state of the art technology, is reassuring for donors and is operated by volunteers
- The tin uses technology that is already live in the vending sector where an operator is not required
- Consumers can just touch on the reader using their card to donate £2 to Cancer Research UK
In March 2015, Save the Children piloted mobile contactless collection tins and counter-top donation terminals at a London coffee shop, shopping centre and tube station, and a Manchester music venue. Given the choice between contactless and cash collection tins, around 70% of shoppers still chose to donate in cash and 30% gave via contactless cards.
The new mobile contactless donation solution (CDS) will be available at 16 locations across London, Glasgow, Liverpool and Leeds* from 4th February, as part of Cancer Research UK’s fundraising campaign on World Cancer Day.
Hannah Fitzsimons, Managing Director UK and International Corporate for Elavon said: “We have seen through our previous pilots that there is an appetite for contactless payments to help the third sector, offering consumers a safe and secure way to make donations. Elavon has the experience to help bring new technology in payments to help charities such as Save The Children and now Cancer Research UK in what will be the biggest launch of its kind, rolling out the contactless only donations services to 16 locations in the UK. We look forward to seeing the results after 4th February to help raise valuable funds for Cancer Research UK.”
About Elavon (www.elavon.co.uk)
Elavon is wholly owned by U.S. Bancorp (NYSE: USB) and provides end-to-end payment processing solutions and services to more than 1 million customers in the United States, Europe, Canada, Mexico, Brazil and Puerto Rico. Elavon is the leading provider for airlines and a top five provider for hospitality, healthcare, retail, and public sector/education.
With European offices in the UK, Ireland, Germany, Norway, Poland and Spain, Elavon’s innovative payment solutions are designed to solve pain points for businesses whatever their size. In 2013, they handled over a billion transactions for 240k European outlets.
*Full list of locations:
- London Bridge x2
- Canary Wharf station
- Oxford Circus station
- Paddington station
- Waterloo station
- Liverpool Street station
- Westfield (White City)
- Glasgow City Centre
- York train station
- Towcester racecourse
- Liverpool Lime Street
- Leeds train station
For further information about Cancer Research UK, please contact Kim Ireland in the Cancer Research UK press office on 0203 469 8586 / email@example.com
About Cancer Research UK
- Cancer Research UK is the world’s leading cancer charity dedicated to saving lives through research
- Cancer Research UK’s pioneering work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer has helped save millions of lives
- Cancer Research UK receives no government funding for its life-saving research. Every step it makes towards beating cancer relies on every pound donated
- Cancer Research UK has been at the heart of the progress that has already seen survival rates in the UK double in the last forty years
- Today, 2 in 4 people survive cancer. Cancer Research UK’s ambition is to accelerate progress so that 3 in 4 people will survive cancer within the next 20 years
- Cancer Research UK supports research into all aspects of cancer through the work of over 4,000 scientists, doctors and nurses
- Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK's vision is to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured
For further information about Cancer Research UK's work or to find out how to support the charity, please call 0300 123 1022 or visit www.cancerresearchuk.org. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
Payter is expert, pioneer and leader in the field of contactless NFC technology. With the largest pilot in Europe in the field of contactless and mobile payments and mobile marketing, Payter obtained instant fame and recognition in 2007. Since then, Payter has been structurally deployed by companies around the globe, to bring together innovative NFC technologies to create sustainable, safe, efficient and future proof solutions.
Creditcall makes card acceptance simple from any device, anywhere. No matter if in retail, hospitality, parking or transportation, our award-winning omni-channel, EMV-ready payment gateway and EMV Kernels are at the very heart of our clients’ business. Whether in-store, online or mobile, we ensure payments flow securely, all day, every day.
For more information about Creditcall contact firstname.lastname@example.org